Sunday, October 11, 2009

The alarm clock incessantly buzzes and it’s 7:00 am. Feet touch a floor that feels like ice, time to start another January Day. At 11:00 last night the weather was calling for snow, so I open the bedroom blinds with trepidation. “Oh God” I think, they were right this time, as the snow swirls outside my window.

I hit the thermostat as I walk through the living room, hoping the bathroom will warm up by the time I finish breakfast. I finish my toast, and head for the shower. The heat hasn’t melted the frost off the windows yet. God, I hate winter. I shower in water hot enough to boil my skin, but when I step out, I’m shivering before I even start to dry off. I run to my bedroom get dressed in multiple layers and head out the door.

“Why didn’t I have an automatic starter put in?” I mutter as I look where I parked my car. Pieces of silver, I think it’s my car, are visible through a mound of snow. Snow is flying around, like thousands of pieces of glass hitting me anyplace not covered by material. My lungs ache from the sub-zero air rushing into them. I wipe my dripping nose and the tissue freezes to my face. My finger and toes are numb from the cold. I pick up the shovel and start to make a path to my car.

The snow is wet and heavy, moving it is like moving a mountain of rocks. It is so cold and wet as I continue to clear the path to my car; the chill has gone clear through to my bones. My clothes are almost as heavy and wet as the snow. The process of making a path to my car is painstakingly slow. The hot chocolate I brought out with me is presently more similar to a Dunkin Donuts frozen drink. I finally make it to the glacier that has moved into my yard overnight and lo and behold there is a car under it.

I go inside to try to warm up and make a new cup of hot chocolate. Dry hat and gloves and back out I go. My boots are heavier than infamous concrete shoes as I slog thru the half-ass path I’ve made to my car. I break through the crust on top and try to get enough moved to get the door open. The door handle is stuck and my wet glove freezes to the metal before I can get it open. My glove pulls off and my hand is immersed into icy white arctic tundra that has decided to make my driveway its’ new home. My fingers ache from the iciness that penetrates them. “Winter sucks” is one of the more lady like thoughts I’m having right at this moment.

The mass of snow is finally removed from the car, and I get into start it. The interior of the car is as cold as the outside temperature. The windows have an inch of frost on them and the seats radiate cold. The motor reluctantly churns on and I crank the heat to high and return to the house to warm up again. More hot chocolate, a steaming shower, and dry clothes I just stand and stare out the window.

The snow is still coming down, but I can see a hole clearing through the windshield. Another cup of hot chocolate and the windshield is clear. A dry coat, gloves and hat and I’m bundled up enough to brave the arctic chill again. “God I hate winter” I mumble as I walk out the door.

1 comment:

  1. No, but Sally, tell us how you really feel!

    I think it's a good move for the writer to wrap the description of a place into a little story and then to make the place really a time and dependent on circumstances and the weather. So we get house, car, outdoors, Sally, all swirling in this like... like snowflakes I guess! And it works fine.

    ReplyDelete