Sunday, September 5, 2010

My Story

I grew up in Sorrento and graduated from Sumner High School in 1981. I married immediately out of high school and had my daughter shortly thereafter. At 38 I made a much needed career change and became an EMT-Basic. I fell in love with pre hospital emergency medicine, and decided to pursue paramedicine as my career. After completing my paramedic education I became employed at Capital Ambulance and Northeastern Maine EMS.

My job at Northeast EMS is education based; I teach both EMS licensure classes and continuing education classes for EMS providers. Both of those responsibilities made me see the need to expand my own knowledge base. EMCC offered an associate degree in Emergency Medical Services, so it was the perfect fit. They also offer a varied selection of online classes, that both met my educational needs and my scheduling requirements.

I graduated from the EMS program in May 2010, a member of Phi Theta Kappa and with High Honors. I am now pursuing my liberal degree at EMCC and in conjunction with that I am also working towards my bachelor’s degree in Adult Education and Training at St Joseph’s College.

My life is busy, crazy, and hectic, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Education is the road to success, a road I plan to travel for as long as I can.

2 comments:

  1. Good god, sally--we are going to take back your EM degree and pursue you with a wrath whose bite few feel this side of hell if you don't change "EMMC" to "EMCC" pretty darn quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's done! A faux pas that won't happen again (I hope).

    ReplyDelete