Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dressing up Comp 101

Getting dressed and online college comp 101 wouldn’t seem to have much in common, but for me they are very similar. Both of them involve a lot of pulling stuff out, seeing what works together, and discarding many of the choices. There is also accessorizing involved with each of them. A good outfit needs just the “right” accessories to go with them and a good essay also needs the “write” accessories.

Prompt reactions correlate to getting dressed for work. Getting dressed for work is fairly easy as the outfit is there for me. I have choices, such as do I wear the long or short sleeve blue shirt today, but it will always be with blue pants. My hair has to be pulled up, but will I wear my hair in a ponytail or will I just throw it in a clip tonight? Prompts are similar in that the material is there; I just take it and make it my own. Which one strikes my fancy on the day I write compares to how I will wear my hair on any given night. What I put in the prompt is similar to picking the short sleeve or long sleeve shirt. It’s decided by what strikes my fancy at that given moment. Choices exist with both, but they are limited to what someone else has deemed.

Freestyles are similar to getting dressed on my day off. Both are determined my choice and mood. My day off attire can be dressy requiring a lot of effort, or sloppy with just enough effort to be presentable at the corner store. Hair can be up or down, maybe not even washed if I’m feeling really lazy. Freestyles can be dressed up on the days you want to really put the effort into it. They are also acceptable if made just presentable enough that they give the instructor something to comment on. Freestyles and day off clothing are both entirely at my whim.

Five graf essays equate to getting ready for a big night on the town or an important business meeting. First, with both there is a decision on what image I want to present for the given event, whether the essay or the outfit. For the outfit, I start by pulling half dozen possible outfits out of the closet. For the essay, I pick half dozen topics to start narrowing down from. I start narrowing down the outfit to the one that might most appropriate to the occasion I am attending. Narrowing down the topic for the essay depends on the type essay assigned. A lot of throwing things aside happens with each. Once I have picked out the outfit or the essay topic, both need to start with a good base. Proper undergarments are needed for the clothes, basic paragraphs for the essay. Then the meat of the outfit comes next whether it is a dress or nice suit. It compares to the essay in that next comes the meat of the topic. This is where you are going to grab the attention of the reader or people at the event. Accessories to the outfit are the finishing touch that will make my outfit uniquely mine. Accessories to the essay are the little phrases or twists of humor that give me ownership of it.

College comp 101 and getting dressed can be easy or complicated depending on what the assignment or occasion is. Freestyles and days off give me the most freedom while prompt reactions and getting dressed work are probably the least imaginative of tasks. Five graf essays and the getting dressed for the big occasion allow for the most planning and imagination.

1 comment:

  1. This's a new one on me! Smiling out loud here and trying to figure out what all this makes me. Am I the closet where the clothes wait to be chosen? The Salvation Army when I reject an 'outfit'?

    Anyway, deep questions like that aside, I'm glad to take it--carefully organized, not taking itself too seriously, detailed.

    ReplyDelete