Sunday, September 27, 2009

It is day one of Fall 2009 EMT Basic class. I walk into the classroom to 40 staring eyes fidgeting in their seats. You can feel the nervousness radiating off them, well most of them. There are the few who think this class is an inconvenience, they already know it all. You can see the lackadaisical attitude written all over them. These students are my special project; EMS is serious business, and I need to make them understand that. Textbooks are open and the smell of new paper radiates off them, the pages are still crisp and rustle loudly as they turn them. Pens are in hand, poised, and ready to write every important word down.

I go to the front of the classroom and introductions begin. I start, “Good morning, my name is Ms. Taylor, welcome to EMS 123-30.” Now it is the students’ turn. Everyone has the task of introducing themselves and giving a short explanation of what their expectations of the class are. This is one of the most interesting parts of the day. I really enjoy hearing hear why people are interested in EMS. Some of it is pretty serious, but some of it is pretty comical. The answers range from the mundane, “I really want to help people” to the atrocious, “I want a uniform, so I can find a hot girl”. I wrap it up by letting them know what my expectations of them are over the semester. They are a bit overwhelmed at this point, but you can see the excitement in most of their eyes. There are still a few who think this is just a formality, they know it all. The “why to hell do I have to be here” attitude is still emanating from them. I can’t wait until they figure out exactly why they have to be here. Time for the lecture to begin; Chapter one is a necessary evil. The material is dry and there is absolutely know way to spice it up. I launch into it hoping to keep them interested enough so they don’t just stand up and walk out. Once that is over, time for a break. Hopefully they all come back!!

Back they come, 40 pairs of eyes a little glazed over, but at least awake. Time for Chapter two. Chapter two is a little more interesting than Chapter one, but the material is still dry. We do a class activity that gets them out of their seats and moving. They have to pair up in groups of four, and you can see the disappointment on their faces when I count them off for groups and they aren’t with their friends. That was my whole intent, being able to play well others is an integral part of being a god EMS provider. We finish the activity and I notice conversations between people who were strangers three hours ago. A small triumphant for me, that was really my only goal for this activity. Lecture for Chapter two is done, and off they go to lunch. I head to my office to catch up on some work, no rest for the wicked they say. Whoever “they” is seems to know what they are talking about.

Lunch hour is over and back to the classroom I head. Twenty bodies are wandering in, some as excited as they were this morning, some with trepidation, and some still blatantly arrogant with their know-it-all attitude. By now, I have figured out who my challenges are going to be. Will I be able to bring those who are not joiners into the group, and will I be able to reign in those who are sure they are not going to gain anything from this class? Both groups will present an equal challenge over the next 16 weeks. Chapter three lecture begins and now the material is starting to capture their attention. You can see the wheels turning and thought processes kicking in. The realization that this is not like TV starts to take hold. I know this is where I am going to lose some, if their interest isn’t legitimate. The guy who wants the uniform to catch the hot girl may not be back next week. It’s late in the afternoon now, and Starting to be difficult to hold the attention of even the most interested ones. We do another group activity, though this time I let them choose their own partners. It is interesting to watch and see if they will go back to some of their new found classmates. Some do and some don’t, so my goal was partially accomplished. Better small steps forward, then standing still or backwards movement.

The day is over, and I give them their assignments for the week. They look at me like I’m an ogre, so I remind them this is a college course, with credits the equivalent of two classes. The moans and groans from some are blatantly audible. They never imagined homework would be involved with a “class like this”. I remind them the doctors probably never had homework either and this a class in medicine, so expect homework every week. I gather my computer, projector, and books then head to my office. As I am putting things away, I reflect over the day. Fall 2009 semester has begun and I love my job as much as I did when Fall 2004 semester began.

1 comment:

  1. This may be a little long for the Eyrie, but what a wonderful invitation to a student to see things from the other side for a minute. You might send it along for the Eyrie--it certainly is as interesting as anything likely to be printed. And very nice to see how you build on version 1.

    ReplyDelete