Sunday, September 27, 2009

It was the first day of the new semester. I walked into a classroom of 20 students sitting in their seats. Each of them had their textbooks and notebooks in front of them ready to go.

I walked to the front of the classroom and introduced myself. In turn they all introduced themselves. I had them open their textbooks to Chapter one and started my lecture. Chapter one is really boring, I don’t enjoy doing it. The students just stare back and I wonder how many of them will stick it out.

I start the lecture for Chapter two, wondering if they will all stay awake until lunch. We do a class activity that divides them up into groups of four. When Chapter two is finished, I send them to lunch, and go to my office to catch up on some work.

Lunch hour is finished and all the students are back in their seats. I start the lecture on Chapter three, and hope they are all paying attention. That is one of the drawbacks to an all day class; it’s a long day for the students and the teacher.
It’s the end of the day, and I give them their assignments for the next week. I pick up my materials and take them to my office. I put everything away, and lock up and head home for the day

1 comment:

  1. Whew, I pity you AND the students! That's too long! 50 minutes is all anyone can stand, on either side of the lectern.

    ReplyDelete