Saturday, February 14, 2009

The story behind the story-- I start every day with a phone call to my partner in Machias. Usually the conversations are light and upbeat, but when one of us has had a tough day, usually me, it is virtually impossible to be truly consoled over the phone. Words (sorry John) can't replace a touch or a hug. These conversations used to always end in tears, but over the last two and a half years have gotten better. It is still a daily struggle for me knowing that to continue this job means going home to Machias once every four to six weeks. Does the satisfaction of my job really compare with going to bed with the one you love every night? No, but do I throw my education and what I have accomplished away? If I move back to Machias that is in essence what I would be doing. My partner has obligations to an aging parent that make moving to Bangor impossible right now. So here we are, between the proverbial rock and hard place. Then there is my daughter and grandchildren, I know I am missing so much. I call them every day, but a phone call can never replace a kiss and hug or a good tickling session. They are growing up and I am missing the benefits of being a grandparent after paying the dues of being a parent. At times the story behind the story really sucks.

1 comment:

  1. I was really asking more for the writing story behind the story, not the human story behind the story, but human is okay too, though I know you only jest when you say words can't replace a hug! Of course they can!

    ReplyDelete